Southern Alberta Community Living Association
Director of Finance
Director of Finance
Southern Alberta Community Living Association (SACLA) is looking to welcome a dynamic and collaborative Director of Finance (DOF). This position has wide-ranging responsibilities including strategic leadership, financial and risk management, analytics, capital asset development, and privacy requirements. The DOF is a member of the SACLA, Senior Leadership Team and helps to set long-term direction for the organization, integrate work across business units, and steward the confidence of donors and partners. The successful candidate will bring a values-based leadership approach, contributing significantly to a culture that is inclusive, supportive, and oriented to stakeholder engagement, high performance, community impact, and innovation.
Reporting directly to the CEO, the DOF will collaborate with a variety of stakeholders including the SACLA Board of Directors (BOD), donors, partner service providers, and team members to ensure SACLA remains trusted, accountable, efficient, and effective.
- Engage, motivate, and effectively drive the Finance Department’s (A/P, A/R, & Payroll) performance and promote a culture of accountability and respect in the workplace.
- Partner with all management levels providing coaching and education to Managers where appropriate.
- Recommends, develops, and monitors overall organizational financial policies, standards, and authorities.
- Performs internal control function testing existing controls, recommends improvements, and develops new controls where they are lacking.
- Directs, coordinates, monitors, and controls the resources and activities of the Finance Department to achieve overall organizational plans, objectives, and budgets.
- Develops, recommends, implements, and monitors financial performance measurements and information systems for the organization. Analyses available data for financial planning/monitoring purposes.
- Provides overall direction and coordination to the development of revenue forecasts and analyses.
- Manages work assignments arising from special projects and overall organizational initiatives.
- Establishes and directs the administration of a coordinated financial risk management program, including asset, liability and other insurance as may be required.
- Prepares financial statements and reports for BOD, Senior Team, and external accountability bodies.
- Assists with acquisitions, divestitures, and onboarding of sites, as required.
- Leads budget development.
- Performs business case analysis and preparation.
- Responsible for FTE and staffing calculations.
- Responsible for variance analysis and forecasting.
- Ensures continuous quality improvement processes are implemented.
- Develops analysis and indicator tools. Bridges the gap between the information provided by the organization’s reporting system and the needs of the association, through the development, distribution, and interpretation of reports.
- Develops appropriate metrics.
- Assesses and evaluates the reporting needs of the organization and develops and implements new reports and other reporting tools, as required.
- Integrates and synthesizes qualitative information.
- Interprets findings and forms a conclusion.
- Analyzes data with a high degree of attention to detail and accuracy.
- Partner with SACLA’s Property Manager to:
- Creates Capital Asset five-year replacement plan.
- Establishes preventative maintenance plan and oversees the completion of scheduled maintenance.
- Encourages environmental practices, incorporating energy-efficient products where it benefits Association and Individuals.
Supervision and Leadership:
- Provide leadership & mentorship to the Finance Department by ensuring that financial deliverables are accurately completed on schedule.
- Maintaining a current knowledge, practice and compliance of all relevant SACLA plans, policies and practices, aligning with provincial legislative requirements.
- Maintaining current knowledge and ensure compliance with the Collective Agreement.
- Build employee capacity, supporting their professional development and enabling them to optimize their contribution to the Association.
- Provide Health & Safety leadership and guidance to the Finance Department.
- Supporting the organizational needs of SACLA as directed.
- Accounting designation and or Degree/Diploma in Business Administration.
- Certificate in Accounting balanced with 3-5 years’ experience.
- Experience, at an operational level, as a leader who has developed and led innovative planning and programs in a complex, multi‐stakeholder environment.
- 5+ years of experience at a senior financial level, in similar areas of complexity and scope.
- Ability to assess priorities, coordinate projects and meet deadlines
- Excellent communication skills with a focus on transparency, team participation & safety
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
Please apply in confidence to email@example.com
Posting will be open till a suitable candidate is found. SACLA wants to thank all those for their interest and that applied but only candidate(s) chosen to move forward will be contacted.
Individual & Family Services
Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada