Medow Consulting Inc.
Director, Policy and Research
About Medow Consulting
Medow Consulting is a multi-disciplinary policy and research group based in Toronto. We support initiatives that build a prosperous economy and inclusive society, empowering individuals and organizations in a changing landscape of learning, technology, commerce, community life, and work. Recent clients have included the United Way of Greater Toronto, Assembly of First Nations, the Ryerson Leadership Lab, the Indigenous Advanced Education and Skills Council, Century Initiative, the OECD, Prince’s Trust Canada, and the City of Toronto.
We are seeking a policy and research professional with experience successfully managing project teams to deliver complex, multi-stakeholder initiatives. The selected candidate will be a rigorous researcher, a strong analyst, and a confident writer able to communicate findings and recommendations in compelling formats. Political acuity and comfort communicating with senior stakeholders is a key competency. While independently generating research and analysis, the Director, Policy and Research will manage highly motivated project teams with an effective and person-centred approach.
- Project management for policy, research and strategy initiatives;
- Effective use of project management methodologies; and
- Product development and delivery oversight.
Engagement and Development
- Client Relations and participation in external initiatives;
- Strategy development and execution;
- Presentation development and delivery;
- Process design, consultation development and implementation; and
- Proposal development and RFP response development/coordination.
Analysis, Research, Evaluation, Strategy Building, Writing
- Multidisciplinary analysis applying research techniques including literature reviews, environmental scans, data or econometric analysis, key informant interviews, focus groups, and user research;
- Drafting clear, effective research outputs (papers, briefing notes, articles, decks, communications materials);
- Analyzing policy opportunities and trends in current political context;
- Creating clear and effective visual representations of data.
The Ideal Candidate:
Education and Experience
- An advanced degree in public policy or a related discipline;
- Seven or more years of progressive experience in public policy-related research, writing, program development, evaluation, analysis, or strategy-building; and
- At least one year of experience managing a policy or research team.
Applicants should be able to demonstrate all of the following competencies:
- A confident, effective approach to project management and guiding team development of policy and research products;
- Strong ability to steward client relationships and collectively build solutions;
- Ability to rapidly develop expertise in complex policy fields through self-directed inquiry;
- Capacity to organize and synthesize data and information;
- Compelling, jargon-free writing;
- Able to adapt to a dynamic environment with rapidly evolving work requirements;
- Able to work in interdisciplinary teams including tech and media professionals;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to foresee and address challenges; and
- Deep knowledge of public policy in an Ontario, Canadian, and potentially international context. Areas of expertise may include post-secondary education, apprenticeship, training, employment services, immigration, early learning and child care, infrastructure, affordable housing, and technology policy.
Applicants should highlight which of the following competencies they possess:
- Indigenous cultural competency, knowledge of public policy affecting Indigenous peoples, and experience working with Indigenous governments and organizations;
- Evaluation design and implementation;
- French fluency: proficient in professional communication and document development;
- Data visualization skills (e.g. Tableau);
- Statistical package usage (e.g. R, Stata);
- Designing strategic plans;
- Organizational budgeting, governance, and financial analysis; and
- Experience developing proposals in response to requests for proposals.
Environment & Compensation:
- The position is remote at this time due to Covid-19.
- Compensation is commensurate with experience.
- Benefits and competitive vacation.
- Send your CV and a cover letter describing your fit for the position to email@example.com.
- Work samples and/or an evaluation may be requested.
- Applications will be considered until the position is filled.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada