Executive Production Chef
We transform underutilized urban spaces into neighborhood hubs that connect people to locally curated goods, services, and experiences.
With an ecosystem of 4,500 locations and a team of 15,000 people, REEF is the largest operator of mobility, logistics hubs, and neighborhood kitchens in North America.
Together we are leveraging the power of proximity to keep our communities moving forward in a sustainable and thoughtful way.
The Executive Production Chef provides day-to-day operational direction to the Production Kitchen (PK). This position is responsible and accountable for overall success of the daily kitchen operations. Exhibits culinary talents by personally performing tasks while leading the staff and managing all food related functions. Works to continually improve guest and associate satisfaction while maximizing the financial performance in all areas of responsibility. Supervises all kitchen areas to ensure a consistent, high quality product is produced. Responsible for guiding and developing staff including direct reports. Must ensure sanitation and food standards are achieved. Areas of responsibility comprise overseeing all food preparation areas and all support areas (e.g., dish room and purchasing).
Primary Duties And Responsibilities
- Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity and leads by example.
- Communicates the importance of safety procedures, detailing procedure codes, ensuring associate understanding of safety codes, monitoring processes and procedures related to safety.
- Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
- Achieves and exceeds goals including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
- Identifies the developmental needs of others and coaches, mentors and helps others to improve their knowledge or skills.
- Provides information to supervisors, co-workers, and associates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
- Develops and implements guidelines and control procedures for purchasing and receiving areas.
- Provides guidance and direction to associates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
- Supervises and manages Production Kitchen associates. Manages all day-to-day operations and understands associate positions well enough to perform duties in associates’ absence.
- Serves as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
- Analyzes information and evaluates results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Manages day-to-day operations, ensuring the quality, standards and meeting the expectations of the customers on a daily basis.
- Identifies educational needs of others, develops formal educational or training programs or classes, and teaches or instructs others.
- Recognizes superior quality products, presentations and flavor.
- Ensures compliance with food handling safety and sanitation standards.
- Follows proper handling and right temperature of all food products.
- Ensures all associates are treated fairly and equitably.
- Trains kitchen associates on the fundamentals of good cooking and excellent plate presentations.
- Interacts with Area Director and the Execution Kitchens to obtain feedback on product quality and service levels.
- Administers the performance appraisal process for direct report managers.
- Ensures associates maintain required food handling and sanitation certifications.
- Ensures disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to Standard and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs) and supports the Peer Review Process.
- Manages associate progressive discipline procedures for areas of responsibility.
- Maintains purchasing, receiving and food storage standards.
- Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with associates and ensures associates do the same within the team.
- Solicits associate feedback, utilizes an open-door policy and reviews associate satisfaction results to identify and address associate problems or concerns.
- Participates in the budgeting process for areas of responsibility.
- Empowers associates to provide excellent customer service. Establishes guidelines so associates understand expectations and parameters. Ensures associates receive on-going training to understand guest expectations.
- Reviews customer review daily report and other data to identify areas of improvement.
- Prepares and cooks foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or functions.
- Check the quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
- Demonstrate new cooking techniques and equipment to staff.
- Other duties may be assigned and modified by supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills And Abilities
- Knowledge of techniques and equipment for preparing and presenting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques and sanitation standards.
- Ability to prepare and present meals utilizing culinary principles, standards, techniques and equipment (e.g., grilling, sautéing, broiling, baking, using decorative food displays, following recipes).
- Ability to manage financial resources and determine how money will be spent to get work done and accounting for these expenditures.
- Ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Ability to understand written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents and communicating effectively in writing.
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Knowledge of practices and procedures needed to maintain material, equipment and supplies; including vendor identification and contract negotiation, supply requisition and purchasing, and inventory control (e.g., accounting and budgeting).
- Ability to gather and organize information using a logical and systematic process; recognize patterns and relationships in complex data; examine data to identify implications, problems and draw appropriate conclusions; generate alternative solutions to problems; evaluate strengths, weaknesses and consequences of alternative solutions and approaches to solving problems.
- Knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices, P&L statements, operating budgets, forecasting and scheduling, and the reporting of financial data.
- Ability to effectively adjust to major changes in work tasks or the work environment.
- Ability to a cohesive team and facilitating goal accomplishment.
- Proven track record as not only as a “coach/leader” leading others, but also having the willingness and ability to roll up the sleeves and engage in detailed execution when required.
- Ability to interact with others in an honest, fair and respectful way; giving others confidence in one’s intentions and those of the organization.
- Skilled at clearly conveying information and ideas through a variety of media; engaging the audience and helping them understand and retain the message.
- Ability to gather and organize information relevant to a long-range goal or vision, develop alternative strategies, and execute a course of action to carry out strategy.
- Demonstrates agility and the ability to meet tight deadlines and make quick decisions in a very versatile environment
- 4+ years’ experience as Executive Chef or similar role in a fast-paced environment preferred.
- Prior restaurant operations and leadership experience required.
- Associate’s degree or equivalent in Culinary Arts, Hotel and Restaurant Management or related field from an accredited university or specialized training program required.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Certifications: HACCP and Food Handling Certification.
What We’ll Provide
Life and Disability
Paid Time Off (PTO)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Frequently operate small office equipment such as a computer, tablet, and copier/printer, telephone.
- Work is performed in a professional office environment.
Work is performed indoors for extended periods of time including up to the entire duration of shift.
REEF Technology is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. REEF does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, national origin, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. REEF complies with all applicable equal employment opportunity legislation in each jurisdiction in which it operates.
Information Technology and ServicesFood & BeveragesFinancial Services
Toronto, Ontario, Canada